Sunday, June 6, 2010

Time is flying

I have been terrible at keeping this up. But, I feel like I was always most curious to see what people were still doing or not doing late in pregnancy. I'm 36 weeks today and 1 week from being able to say I'm "full term". I definitely want to plan to run on the day I hit 37 weeks...just to be difficult.

What I am still doing is pulling a lot of night shifts at work. I am amazed at myself...really....it's a miracle every time I complete a shift. I drive home bleary eyed and wonder how the heck I got through another night. If you think/remember/imagine that 36 weeks pregnant is somewhat uncomfortable, just try and stay up all night. Yeah, it hurts even more. It's difficult to sleep well at this point so when I'm on night shifts, I average about 5-6 hours a day...but it's very broken up.

So, yeah, I'm tired. A sneaky bonus of the night shifts is that it messes my eating schedule up so much that I haven't gained a lot of weight lately. Usually, I sleep through the morning, eat lunch, eat dinner and then work all night on no meals. Maybe this isn't the best thing health-wise but I'm really not hungry at 4 am...plus I get heartburn at work which is unbearable.

Bottom line is shift work and pregnancy do NOT mix. Put that on your list of what not to do. I imagine this schedule will be tough with a newborn as well. I will be leaving my job at the end of December. Factoring in my maternity leave, that leaves me with about 5 more months of shift work...and, yes, I'm counting the days.

On the workout front, I'm still on my forced running hiatus due to an irritating pregnancy side effect. However, I think I may try and run a few miles tomorrow and see how it goes. Maybe I will make a stunning comeback for the last weeks of pregnancy.

I have been walking a lot. Eric and I did a good bit of uphill hiking yesterday at a State park. (Ouch...and I'm slow.) Also, I hit the gym last week and did about an hour workout spread between the elliptical and spinning bike. I did "intervals" in that workout where I went at a hard effort for somewhere between 30 secs and 1 min. I got a few Braxton hicks on those but nothing too terrible.

No comments:

Post a Comment