Thursday, November 26, 2009

10K at 8 1/2 weeks

I dragged Eric out to run the "Burn the Bird 5k/10k" race this morning. He ran the 5K with a friend and I did the 10k with a friend. We ran it in 57 mins or so. It was probably a good thing I ran with my friend because I get a little competitive when I'm racing...I can't lie, I would have gone for the win. So far, at 8 1/2 weeks pregnant, I feel fine...normal....not pregnant. Sometimes, I get a little worried knowing that while I bounce and run around and eat anything I want, there are some pregnant women out there bowing to their Porcelain God.

This is our 3rd pregnancy. Obviously, I have had a little practice if only in the first trimester. Of the 3, I have kept my life the most normal this time. I figure I'll just keep working the same hours, keep running the same miles, keep drinking the same booze (ok, that one's a joke). If the little bean would like to stick around, he/she is welcome to...but I'm not overhauling my life for him/her. IF this one does stick around, it will be good practice for the little bugger when he's born to a high energy/working mom. It's not like we'll be hanging around the house very much!

My only concession to the pregnancy is that I have slowed my running pace. My rule of thumb is going to be if it feels good, than it's fine to do while pregnant. I nearly ripped my doctor's head off when, at my appointment, she recommend that if I exercise, I keep my heart rate under 120 bpm. It's reassuring to know that in 1985, the recommended heart rate was 140-160. And in 1994, the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology threw out the heart rate recommendation for pregnant runners altogether. So, depending how you look at it, my doctor is possible only 15 years out of touch or possible 24 years out of touch. Joy.

If it were anyone else, I would recommend looking for another doctor. However, I figure I'm 95% done with my MS in Exercise Science so I'll stick to my specialty and monitor my own fitness program and my Dr. can stick to her specialty and hopefully get this little one to stay and grow in my slightly unwelcome body.

No comments:

Post a Comment